Monday, September 6, 2010

Fixed my Laptop finally

My HP TX2000 tablet laptop has been acting funny on me these past few months. The video card would heat up really hot and the picture would go out on me. I searched online forums and found out that this is a common problem with this model laptop and the previous version, but HP will do nothing about it. So some smart people posted videos on Youtube on how to fix the overheating problem and how to push the video card back into the motherboard. So here are some pictures of taking my laptop apart. It is not as complicated as I thought it would be.
Here is the picture after I used a Mini blow-torch to "re-seat" the videocard. I pushed on it for about a minute and then put some thermal paste on it, then an older copper penny between the heatsink and the videocard. This allows for better heat transfer. The total cost of this project was under $5. $4 for the thermal paste and $0.01 for the penny. HP wanted us to send the laptop in and charge us over $300. Thank you Youtube for saving me money and for learning more about computers. If you know of anyone that has the same computer and problems let me know and I can help them out.